October 1, 2009

do you know tonex?


I remember when I first saw him. I was a teenager, watching some cheesy gospel awards show... when a man hit the stage to a tight beat, wearing a feather-lined jacket...and omg "is that make-up!?!" I didn't know what to think....don't know what he sang...but I never forgot his face. Years later, I was a dancer for a gospel group and they were opening up a "show" for tonex and his band. A sister was walking down the hall carrying a tray of food and asked me to help her out by opening a door. I opened the door to a sea of faces who stopped all conversation and stared at me...the intruder. MRS. tonex said a playful, "Ooooo! You gone get it!" Of course she had her curvy hips and designer jeans nestled comfortably in tonex's lap. He just stared, gave me a quick smirk and went on with his business. Little did I know that encounter preceded one of the most awesome, spirit-filled "concerts" that I'd ever witnessed. He was excellent, real and...different. From that moment on, I was in love with tonex...the gospel Prince, I called him. I followed his music, his ministry and his happenings. I used a tonex song in my wedding (on loan from my big bro and original sis-n-law...r.i.p.). I was in complete shock when he and MRS. tonex divorced and had many jaw-dropping moments reading his raging blogs on myspace. Yet, my love would not die or be denied. Now I have been informed...from tonex's own mouth, that he is "attracted to men". As everyone knows I love tonex, as soon as the news hit, so was my inbox. It wasn't a COMPLETE shocker as the feathers, weaves and make-up over the years was suspect, but I had to watch the 3 part interview for myself anyway. I had to look into the whites of his eyes and listen to every word....every syllable.


Now I do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle and no amount of tonex lovin' will change that. Yet, I leave the judging to God. He sincerely believes what he feels. I don't know how he feels. I know what the word says. This situation has challenged me to dig deeper and TRULY "know for myself". Religion has no place in the true God and His Kingdom. As tonex admits he's still on a journey of soul-searching, praying and seeking....so am I. This is way beyond a few cuss words on youtube. Nevertheless, love you still. sigh.





bite of the day ~ our job is to love and pray. as hard as it is, leave the judging to God.

thirtiesgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment